Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Race Results


I have wanted to run in the Elgin Valley Fox Trot. I actually registered for the 5k race two years ago, but woke up with stomach distress on race morning and ended up skipping that one. Then last year I had to sit out again, being about four months pregnant.

Well, I finally did it this year. I ran in the 10-Mile race. Yes, that is 10 miles and not 10 km as I originally thought when I first contemplated registering for the race. It was already the beginning of May, but the race was over three weeks away, so I thought that getting ready for a 10k race would not be a problem. The doubts quickly arose, however, when I took a closer look at the application and discovered the truth. Nevertheless, I was talked into giving it a try, and I all but killed myself trying to prepare for this race.

How much preparation did I have to accomplish in approximately three weeks' time? Well, consider these facts:

* The farthest I had ever run before was about 8 km (ca. 5.5 miles)
* It has been only 7 months since I had a baby - I'm still nursing, and I still haven't lost all the baby weight.
* I only picked up running again since the beginning of March.

Needless to say, I decided to make my goal to finish the race, and not worry at all about time. Based on my training runs, I figured that my time would be around 2:10, and somehow if I were really lucky, I could maybe make it an even 2 hours.

I ended up finishing the race in 2:20:03 - a little slower than I had hoped, but not bad all things considered. It was hot here, too, for the race, so that 14 minute/mile includes some walking as well (I estimate that all in all, I probably walked no more than 1 1/2 mile altogether). I finished last in my age group :( but at least I wasn't the cow's tail overall.

I can look at the bright side - not only do I have a better idea of what to expect, but truly there is nowhere to go but up.

This picture I've posted is, of course, a before picture - there is no way that I'm going to put an after picture up...

No comments: