Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Monday Weigh-In – Week 1

I am going to initiate something that I originally had contemplated several months ago – posting my weekly weigh-ins, in the hopes that it would provide some additional motivation to lose weight. Just as I was considering this, I became pregnant, so the concept was rendered moot.

Now that the baby has been born and I have recovered to the point where I can begin a consistent exercise program, I have decided to take up the idea again. My plan to lose weight incorporates diet and exercise – nothing radical, no fad diets or anything like that.

The diet I plan on following is a modified version of the gestational diabetes diet I was on for the last couple of months of pregnancy to control my blood sugar. Rather than count calories, the diabetes diet utilizes exchanges of foods. I’ve modified it to reflect the nutritional and caloric needs of nursing mothers:

Diet/Nutrition for Nursing Mothers

Calories: 400 – 500 extra
Protein: 3 servings daily
Calcium: 5 servings daily
Vitamin C: 2 servings daily
Green leafy/yellow vegetables & fruits: 3+ servings daily
Other fruits & vegetables: 2+ servings daily
Whole grain & complex carbohydrates: 6+ servings daily
Iron-rich foods: 1 or more daily
Fluids: 8+ cups daily

Exchange Plan

Breakfast
1 fruit exchange
1 meat exchange
2 carbohydrate exchanges
1 fat exchange
1 milk exchange

Snack
1 milk exchange
1 carbohydrate exchange
1 fruit exchange

Lunch
2 meat exchanges
2 carbohydrate exchanges
2 vegetable exchanges
1 fruit exchange
1 fat exchange
1 milk exchange

Snack
1 milk exchange
1 carbohydrate exchange
1 fruit exchange

Dinner
3 meat exchanges
2 carbohydrate exchanges
2 vegetable exchanges
1 fruit exchange
1 fat exchange
1 milk exchange

Totals: Calories:
Fruit 5 x 40 = 200
Vegetables 4 x 25 = 100
Meat 6 x 75 = 450
Carbohydrates 8 x 70 = 560
Fat 3 x 45 = 135
Milk 5 x 80 = 400
1845

Nursing mothers should limit their weight loss to about a pound a week, so if this results in a more rapid weight loss, I’ll need to increase the caloric intake, probably by increasing the fruits/vegetables.

As for exercise, I shall start off with 15 minutes daily on my ski machine, 6 times a week. I also need to incorporate some muscle-building/toning exercises, but I’m still in the process of developing a program for that.

My starting weight is 180.0 pounds (five of which I have put on in the past three weeks :( due to my affinity for sweets). I was 165 when I became pregnant, but my ultimate goal is to get back 140, which is what I weighed when I started grad school a “few” years ago.

So, we shall see how it goes. The key is discipline – not so much for the exercise part, but for controlling what I put in my mouth…

No comments: