Tuesday, November 29, 2005

This New Life

I sit and hold the future in my arms, his eyes gazing straight into mine. He sleeps a lot, but on occasion he wakes and looks around, eyes wide with amazement – eyes that represent a tabula rasa; eyes that have yet to see all the wonder of this world; eyes that take in everything that they see, process this visual information, and tuck it away for future reference.

I hold the future in my arms. What an enormous responsibility I have – to help this new little being grow and mature, to teach him about the world he lives in and the God Who made him, to teach him right from wrong and instill in him a love for God, truth, and his fellow man.

I hold the future in my arms. I ponder the changes he will witness in his lifetime – not only advances in technology that will undoubtedly make my head spin, but setbacks for humanity as the aftermath of the fall becomes more pronounced, setbacks as man casts off the restraints of civility and morality and acts more according to his depravity than to any semblance of Christianity. I pray that God will protect him and keep His hand upon him, giving him a love for His Word.

I hold the future in my arms. Without warning, Mount Vesuvius erupts, sending forth sonorous blasts from his tiny bottom. The enchantment is temporarily disrupted as the necessity for a diaper change intrudes itself into the moment.

I hold the future in my arms. A smile passes over his face, reflecting the innocence of one who knows nothing of trials and tribulations, of heartache and sorrow. The time will come soon enough when he is introduced to such things, but for now he is shielded from nastiness. God help me to protect him, and prepare him for this unfortunate eventuality.

My son –

The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face to shine upon you;
The Lord lift His countenance upon you, and give you peace.

No comments: