Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Cool New Toy


This is one of the things I got for Christmas from my nephew. I've been wanting one ever since I visited this site. I've been practicing on the virtual one all fall, so I am not too bad at the techniques involved, such as adding/subtracting complements. The downside is that now when I use the real McCoy, my fingers feel like little sausages. I suppose agility and speed will come with practice, but I don't feel particularly nimble right now, and the beads seem on the small side.

At least it's not as complicated as some of the scientific calculators that are out now. Half the time if I want to do anything with my TI-89 that involves more than +, -, X, or /, I have to consult the manual to figure out how on earth to do it. There's something to be said for the simplicity of a soroban!

No comments: