Yesterday we went to my hometown to watch the Memorial Day parade. It was pretty much as it’s always been, except…
…I was thoroughly shocked by the high school band – seriously. Why? Here it was, one of the TWO times in the year that they actually get out and march (well, if you can really call it that; “shuffle” is considerably more accurate) in a parade (the other occasion being homecoming), and they were NOT in uniform. Nix. Zilch. Nada. Just jeans and (matching) t-shirts.
WHAT ON EARTH is that all about? Where’s your pride? Sure, it can get warm in a Memorial Day parade. Sure, some kid will probably pass out. So what? Everyone survives. You mean to tell me you’re too lazy and self-centered to get out of your grubby clothes and put on an actual uniform to march in a parade on Decoration Day as a way of honoring the fallen in combat?
Shiftless brats. The band director that we had when I was in high school would NEVER have tolerated such an attitude. We had too much pride to be slovenly attired like what I witnessed yesterday.
Mr. E., I hope you weren’t watching the parade. Remember your CGHS Trojan Band the way it was………
No comments:
Post a Comment