Saturday, January 08, 2005

Straining at gnats

I love libraries. I love browsing among the stacks, looking at all the books, picking those that catch my eye, and skimming through them to see if it's a book that I want to take home and read more thoroughly. (I also love browsing in bookstores, but I can't afford to take home all the books that interest me, and I doubt the clerks would take too kindly to me reading the book there and putting it back on the shelf, turning it into the literary equivalent of a "pre-driven" vehicle.) I could spent quite a bit of time in the library just hanging around and reading.

The only thing is that this is impossible to do when you're accompanied by a three-year-old, and I wind up spending the lion's share of my time hushing her and telling her to come back and stay by me. Recently, she strayed a bit far from me and ended up annoying a young man who was seated by the window, trying to study. He made some ungracious comment in a stage whisper, and was clearly put out.

It's obvious that he has never personally experienced the challenge of searching for books in the library while being accompanied by an active toddler. From his reaction, you'd think that I deliberately instructed my toddler to go and pester him, personally. I am well aware of the nature of a library and endeavor to reign in my child accordingly, and, I might add, her behavior is far quieter and more innocuous than that of the junior and senior high kids that populate the library. My toddler is not goofing around in the stacks, gossipping about the latest puppy-love crushes, or using a study carrel for a clandestine rendezvous. Cut me some slack.

And, a piece of advice for the uptight scholar: Next time, put on some looser underwear. You'll feel more comfortable, and you'll be less likely to be irritated by minor things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"And, a piece of advice for the uptight scholar: Next time, put on some looser underwear. You'll feel more comfortable, and you'll be less likely to be irritated by minor things."

LOL!

I wonder if his name was Dick, oooppps, I mean Richard?
God bless him.